Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Attenuating the HF on a 604

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Attenuating the HF on a 604

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    That's actually closer to the recipe for a 605. The 604 uses 515 and 802 motors, basically.
    Uh-oh! Apologies! So I been thinking backwards all this time as I thought the 605 is the 515/802 combo. Thanks for the clarification!

    Abe
    QNME In Retro!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Attenuating the HF on a 604

    Positively no apology necessary Abe.

    I'm certainly no expert, but in general consider the main difference between 604's and 605's is that the 605 trades a few db of sensitivity for a bit tighter coherence/phasing between the HF and LF sections. The shorter magnet/motor structures of the 605 naturally put the acoustic centers of the moving assemblies closer together.

    I've read that 604 production was stopped while 605's were in production. I doubt this is true for the entire production span of the 605 as i've seen catalog pages advertising 605B and 604E simultaneously.

    Some points to ponder:

    Is there a significant audible difference between 604 and 605?

    Is this(phase coherence) why the Beatles preferred it over the 604?

    or

    Was the cost/price difference truly the most decisive factor for users of a 605 vs. 604?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.